Wednesday, February 13, 2008

WFMW - Organizing Kid's Dresser


Works for Me Wednesday is being hosted by Don't Try This at Home week while Shannon is Uganda. Head on over there to find over a hundred other tips. While you're out blog-hopping, stop by Shannon's at Rocks in My Dryer to read about her experience in Uganda; she's there for 10 days with Compassion International, blogging about her experience. You can find a listing of the other bloggers, with links to their blogs about their Uganda experience, here. Each person has their own unique way of telling the story. Once you've read their stories, hop on over to Compassion International and sponser a child. Now for the tip...

For the last several weeks, I have been sharing how I organize my kids' things. I believe this will be my last post in this series: how I organize my toddler's dresser.


Take one ordinary dresser showing plenty of wear.

Except that it isn't so ordinary. The top slides over and down between the wall and the dresser to reveal a changing table. Isn't that cool? Since Josh is still in diapers, we leave the top open. Some day, we might actually close the top but leaving it up is easiest.

The top drawer is already partioned off into three sections. It's the coolest thing. I keep diapers on either side; you can see that they fit perfectly. I keep extra packages of wipes, Balmex, hydrocortizone, and a thermometer in the middle section.

That top section and Organizing Junkie gave the idea of how to organize the rest of the dresser: use dollar store baskets! They fit perfectly, three across. Each basket holds a specific item; I've labeled the photos to show you.

The next drawer down holds overalls/one piece outfits, pants, and shirts. I store the pants and shirts with the folded side up which allows me to see all of them without having to lift up stacks to see what's under the top layer. This really helps keep the baskets neatly folded.

The bottom drawer holds the baby blankets that we still use and outerwear (heavy sirts, vests, jackets we do't use every day).

Josh's dresser always looks this neat. The baskets help keep like things together and keeps piles from toppling over int drawers that are oversized for baby clothes. Everyone can find clothes for Josh, even the kids. Before I started using the baskets, his dressers were a wreck and we had to rummage through everything every time we needed to find somthing for him to wear.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Oh my gosh you have no idea how tickled I am to read this post. I just love it and it always thrills me when someone else discovers how great baskets are. It just never gets old for me. I'm so happy to read how happy you are with it.

So great!!!

Martie said...

Oooooooh, girl! Veeery nice! Organizing posts make my spine tingle! Way to go!

Martie